Skip to main content
Please wait...

provincial court bc

Provincial Court

Time to Read: 1.5 Minutes
Reviewed by: JES
Last Reviewed: August 2020


Traffic and Bylaw

What can you do when you get a traffic or bylaw ticket?

If you get a traffic ticket or a ticket for breaking a bylaw but you don’t agree with it, you can dispute it. For example, you got a ticket for running a red light but you don’t agree that it was red, you can dispute this at traffic court.

Types of Tickets

traffic-and-bylawProvincial Violation Tickets: Tickets for offences under BC laws such as Motor Vehicle Act violations. For example it is illegal to drive without wearing a seatbelt.

Federal act Tickets: Tickets for breaking a law set by the Canadian government such as firearms and fisheries violations. For example, it is illegal to carry a gun without having a license for it.

Municipal Tickets: Tickets for breaking bylaws created by the city or municipality. For example, most cities have bylaws making it illegal to litter.

What happens at court?

The most informal proceedings in Provincial Court involve traffic and bylaw violations. You can act as your own lawyer to dispute a traffic ticket for running a red light, speeding, or for parking violations. You can also dispute bylaw offences such as walking a dog without a leash. These cases are usually very short and can be dealt with quickly.

Judicial Justices of the Peace will hear these types of cases. They are judicial officers of the court who also hear applications for search warrants and for bail.

Appealing traffic and bylaw decisions

Appeals for traffic and bylaw matters go to the Supreme Court.

How useful was this information?